In today’s blog I’m going to talk about that misunderstood species – the Alpha Male!
We keep on hearing about “Alpha Males” and how all the women want to date them. But what exactly defines one?
The term “alpha male” is sometimes applied to humans to refer to a man who is powerful or in a high social position
In nature, attraction between mates is determined by the survival of the fittest philosophy. The mate that is chosen is the one that is most likely to breed strong, healthy offspring. In many animal societies the alpha male will be the only male in the pack, and it will be his job to impregnate the females in order for the species to survive.
Many of the male members of the human world wish it was that easy. What would it be like to have your own harem? What they cannot see is that the alpha male has become the alpha male not by birthright but by having proved over and over again that he is strong enough and intelligent enough to lead the pack-and to keep it. When the alpha male is challenged by another male for possession of his pack he must fight to keep it or it will be taken away from him. This is, again, to ensure that the species survives; the one who wins the right to be an alpha male is the one most likely to father strong offspring.
Of course, that’s all very good for the animal kingdom, but how does this relate to the human world? Humans have their alpha males too, but the criteria by which they are classified is just a bit different. There are many different ways by which a male can be classified as alpha.
Here are some of the various types:
– The Powerful Alpha. This is the man who wields the most power, both in their place of business and among their community of friends. Women who are attracted to this type of alpha have probably fixed their sites on a business tycoon or a politician, if not royalty. These women want position and the power that it brings.
– The Intellectual Alpha. These are the men who are able to provide wonderful essays on any subject. These will probably go on to receive medals and save the world. Most of these will be found spending their lives in their offices or laboratories working side by side with their mates.
– The Military Alpha. Women love a man in uniform, and the more bars and stripes he happens to be sporting the better. These men have power, a sense of adventure and incredible stories to tell over the dinner table (assuming, of course, that the majority of the conversations they have about their lives do not contain the words, “That’s classified”). Their friends can also count on them to be out of the country for the better part of the year so that a livable harmony never has to be developed.
– The “Bad Boy” alpha. Think “James Bond” for this one. He may well be police or an undercover spy. He will have a shady past that he never reveals and at least one criminal element has issued a price on his head. He will wear black and say very much, assuming that the women he is with will know what it is that he wants.
– The Artistic Alpha. This will be the man who sells his paintings by the sea but has galleries in Italy and France. He will have a small cottage on the beach and he and whoever his lady of the moment is will spend their days (and nights) home eating strawberries dipped in chocolate and reciting poetry to each other.
The big question is…..do women REALLY want these types of men? I’ll be answering that in a future blog shortly – along with tips on how you can learn to be a little bit more Alpha.
Thanks for reading,
James Preece – The Dating Guru